while I paused to adjust the fabric going under the foot - I'd step on the pedal to start again, and...nothing. I'd slap the doors for the inside compartments to make sure they were closed tight and the electronic override wasn't overriding, and it would start again. Then it got worse, and I'd have to turn the hand wheel to make it start. Ruh roh.
A few weeks ago it began to slow down while stitching, which was the beginning of the end. I called my resident fix-it guy in to listen to it going RRRrrr, RRRrrr, R...r....R....r and he told me to STOP RIGHT NOW! Apparently I was burning up the motor brushes, with sparks appearing through the vent holes and everything. What? The machine is a mere 23 years old, has been a solid workhorse forever, and we understand each other. Well, I guess I truly don't understand how the needle can occasionally unthread without the thread breaking...but that's a digression we don't need to pursue right now.
So this was a great excuse for my
|In the land of broken toys -|
To our great surprise, a little box from China was in the mail less than a week after the order was placed. Here's a photo of the new brushes compared with the old ones - amazing!
|They don't look exactly the same - but he was still hopeful.|
In the meantime, I couldn't operate without a serger. I'd recently done some investigating for a possible replacement, so I must have known the need would soon be urgent. The Saturday I had to stop using the Bernette, I ordered my new Juki MO644D, and it arrived on Thursday - talk about fast! I started using it immediately - after all, those chiffon prom gowns needed to be roll-hemmed. I like the new machine, with one caveat. The Bernette has all the control knobs but one on the right side, without having to open any of the doors - I could adjust stitch length and differential feed from the outside, and flick the switch to roll hem too, only having to open the door to adjust the knife for cutting width. The Juki hides both the knife adjustment and the stitch length knob inside the left door. I knew this when I bought the machine, but for the price decided I could live with it. It truly is an inconvenience, though, because of the way the counter is set up in my studio. I have a lowered shelf to hold the serger or coverstitch machines, and the left side of the machine butts up against the counter to support the garment/fabric as I sew. To open that door fully to adjust the stitch length, I have to lift the machine up onto the counter. Ah well, it does do a nice stitch, and I'm so happy to have a fast serger again!