Sunday, September 29, 2013

Leather trim - thought I'd be first, now it's everywhere!

Late last Fall I had a vision of a jacket I really wanted to make. One of the fabrics from Sawyer Brook's autumn collections spoke to me every day I worked in the cutting room, and by early November I had to bring some home.


The sleeves are just pinned on, but the fit has already been adjusted.
This rich lightweight brocade has just enough glitz to make it somewhat dressy, but I had a casual jacket in mind. When some beautiful leather skins arrived in the warehouse, I knew where I wanted to go with this jacket. I just wish I could have got my act together and done this earlier -

Test samples of the leather - as straight binding for the center front edges, and curved for the neckline. Had to sew this using my walking foot.



I really love the way this is going to look!
It's taken me almost a year to get there, but it's coming together. My plan is to wear it with new jeans and sort-of cowboy boots, as my country outfit - New England style - for the ASDP conference in Nashville next month. Ouch - make that in about 2 weeks, it's October tomorrow, already! Well, at least I've finished one of my former UFO jackets - more on that later. It's going to be a busy couple of weeks -

No comments:

Post a Comment